Fundraising Lotto

Club Newsletter

1980 ABU   18/10/2019

Annaghdown - Galway SFC winners in 1982, '85 & '87 will be the guests of honour at this year's Galway SFC final. 

 Annaghdown's most successful period came during the 1980's, when the Club reached four Galway SFC finals, winning three senior County titles (1982, 1985 & 1987) and losing another final to Tuam in 1989.

 In 1982, Annaghdown beat Ballinasloe by 1-9 to 1-7 in the first round and had a two point win over Killererin in the Quarter-Final 0-10 to 0-8. The Semi-Final was against Dunmore McHales and another close call as the score was 0-7 to 0-6, The final was against Val Daly’s Mountbellew and Annaghdown were the underdogs.

 However, Annaghdown went on to win by 1-9 to 0-7, bringing the Frank Fox Cup home once again, captained by Brendan Melia.

 Tourlestrane would defeat Annaghdown in the Connacht Semi-Final by 0-9 to 0-7.

In 1985 the Championship was run on a league grouping and with victories over Cortoon and St Gabriels and a draw with Tuam, a Quarter-final clash with Caherlistrane was achieved. Tuam Stars were the next test and once again it went down to the wire and another one point win 0-9 to 1-5 and Annaghdown were in the County Final again. This time against Monivea/Abbey.  

 The Final was a low scoring game and it finished 0-6 each. The replay saw Annaghdown lead by 1-7 to 0-0 at half-time, but at the end is all so close with only two points in favour of Annaghdown, 1-8 to 1-6, with "Man of the Match" Michael Burke scoring 1-4. The captain of Annaghdown was Michael Melia.

 In the 1987 Championship, Annaghdown beat St.Grellans in their first game by 0-10 to 0-5, and followed that with a 2-13 to 0-12 win over St.Brendans, but lost to Corofin in the final group game, but at that stage both teams were in the quarter-finals.  

 Salthill were up next and Annaghdown won the quarter final by 0-10 to 0-3. The semi-final was against Tuam Stars and Annaghdown had another narrow win with only one to spare 0-11 to 0-10 despite the fact that they had led by seven points early in the second half. 

 The final was against Milltown, who were the fancied to win out. Annaghdown won by 1-7 to 0-7, with Tom Naughton scoring the match-winning goal, while Annaghdown captain Willie Hughes won the "Man of the Match" award.  In the Connacht Club, they lost to Ballina Stephenites in Cregg by 1-6 to 0-6

 In 1989, Annaghdown lost the County Final to Tuam Stars by 2-9 to 0-5 after beating St Michaels, Ballinasloe and Corofin in the early rounds as the Championship was back to a knockout system again.

Our sponsors